Chat Moderation

no_avatar
ConservativeFrank

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 pm • via Web
So, I've added the chat to my forum and I like all of the features like having multiple rooms. It seems to work well on my mobile too which is a nice plus.

One big concern I have though is that I can't seem to find a way to make myself a moderator. So I can delete my own posts but not other people's. I also don't see a way to ban a user from using it other than to add him to a NO CHAT group with such permissions. Maybe I could do individual user permissions, I didn't actually try that. Is there a way I can do this?

Second big concern, is if I send a private message within chat from one test member to another, my admin account can't see what is said there. Neither test member has a report button or anything. I don't see a log anywhere in the files on my server either- but I'm sure it is there somewhere. So, since I have users <18 that will be using this site, is there a way I check reports of inappropriate conduct in these private chats? If I have to dig in a file on my server I'm good with that. Otherwise, I'm disabling the private chat for everyone.

Thanks!
Frank

EDIT: "Complete multiroom chat for phpBB 3.1.x and 3.2.x forums.

Among its qualities include:
Full control to the administrators and moderators to manage the messages and users that participate in the chat.
..."

Emphasis mine.
Last edited by ConservativeFrank on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IvanPF
Administrator

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:32 pm • via Web
Hi,

1. The chat permissions are adjusted from the same place as the forum permissions.
For example, to give moderation permissions to a group, you must enter in ACP> Permissions> Group permissions> (select the group) > Select "global moderator permissions" > Advanced Permissions > Chat

2. The private messages of the chat are "private" just like the forum's private messages.
At the moment there is no way to see / report the private content written in the chat, although it is a good idea that I will consider for future versions.
For the moment, the only way to see that content is by entering directly into the database.

Regards
no_avatar
ConservativeFrank

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:37 pm • via Web
Okay I see the setting in global permissions. I hadn't looked there.

Yes, I would definitely suggest a way to report messages so that I could review them through the forum. Can you tell me where abouts to look in my database? Like which file? I looked through all the files in the ext folder but didn't see anything that looked promising.

EDIT: Only reason I'm so aggressive about being able to check private chats is we've had underage problems on other forums before. >.< Sad, but something you've got to watch out for.
no_avatar
ConservativeFrank

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 pm • via Web
Okay, so I finally found it in the database. That won't work either, because I can see all the messages posted in chat rooms but private messages between users are only there temporarily. I could see a PM from me to another (with our my ID as sender) but as soon as we disconnected, looking at the database again it was gone.

So it doesn't look like there is any way for me to investigate reports that people are making inappropriate requests or harassing a user in the private message of chat as far as I can tell.

I definitely think it would help us if you implemented archiving of PMs so we could at least dig them out of the database.
IvanPF
Administrator

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm • via Web
The next version may take months to come out, for that reason, in the next weeks I will try to find a temporal solution for you.
no_avatar
Jakub

Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:35 am • via Web
How things going?

I have exactly the same issues.
As board admin i need to see all rooms just like i see now hidden users.
Also able to delete any message as mod will be very useful (necessary)

edit: I can't remove guest messages as admin!
no_avatar
ConservativeFrank

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:44 pm • via iPhone
I have had only one problem since setting up moderator permissions the way Ivan described above: and that is there is currently no way to moderate what is said in private chats between two users. Those messages are not saved and are gone forever when the session closes. I’m uncomfortable if my site can be used to encourage my members to do things I don’t know about. Especially since I’ve got some members <18.

I do not have it set where guests can even see my chat so I’ve no experience with how guest messages work.
IvanPF
Administrator

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:14 pm • via Web
ConservativeFrank wrote:I have had only one problem since setting up moderator permissions the way Ivan described above: and that is there is currently no way to moderate what is said in private chats between two users. Those messages are not saved and are gone forever when the session closes. I’m uncomfortable if my site can be used to encourage my members to do things I don’t know about. Especially since I’ve got some members <18.

I do not have it set where guests can even see my chat so I’ve no experience with how guest messages work.

I had in mind to add that option in the next version, but I've been thinking about it and I do not know if it's a good idea.
On the one hand, I understand that administrators want to have controlled inappropriate behaviors but, on the other hand, access to private messages between two users is violating their privacy.
Just as you do not have direct access to the mp's of the forum, you should not have access to private messages of the chat.I really do not know what to do with this matter.
no_avatar
ConservativeFrank

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:42 pm • via iPhone
Not only is there a ‘Report’ feature that allows a PM to be public, but obviously they are all there in the database as well.

It is not acceptable for a site to be unable to protect its underage users from predators.

If there isn’t going to be support for this, I’d like the ability to turn off private chat. That feature currently disables chatrooms that are restricted at all. So turning off private chat means there can’t be a chat room for members of a certain user group only.
IvanPF
Administrator

Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:38 pm • via Web
The option of reporting is different, that if I can add it without problem. In this case, if a user were to report a certain private message, he would be allowing a moderator to see it.

If you want to block private messages,there is an own permission to allow users to use private messages or not. If you want to block them, you should only change this permission from the ACP.
For example, to block the private messages to all registered users go to ACP > Permissions > Group Permissions > Registered Users > Advanced Permissions > Chat and change the option "Can send private messages" to "No"

Chatrooms is a different function, it has nothing to do with private messages between users
Next